Wild Salmon Salad with Pickled Blueberries
3 cups (690 g) fresh local blueberries
2 tbsp (28 g) cup local honey
2 tbsp (28 g) balsamic vinegar
1 shallot, thinly sliced into rings
½ tsp (2.4 g) sea salt
1, 5-6 oz (145 g) fresh wild sockeye salmon
1 cup (230 g) fresh seasonal greens
3 tbsp (43 g) extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp (43 g) toasted hazelnuts
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. In a small pot over medium heat, simmer 2 cups (460 g) blueberries with honey, balsamic vinegar, sliced shallots and a pinch sea salt for 5 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat and add the remaining 1 cup (230 g) of blueberries. Let cool.
3. To cook salmon, either pan sear, roast or grill to medium rare (about 2 minutes per side).
4. Assemble greens on a plate and top with extra virgin olive oil and toasted hazelnuts.
5. Place the salmon on top of the salad and garnish with 3 tbsp (43 g) of the pickled blueberries.
Watch Chef Ned Bell prepare this delicious dish at a Vancouver Farmer’s Market.