Red Tilapia Grilled in a Banana Leaf (Pla Tub Tim Ping)
Ingredients for curry paste fish marinade:
2 tsp (10 ml) Chiang Mai peppercorn, toasted
¼ cup (60 ml) finely chopped lemongrass
¼ cup (60 ml) finely chopped galangal
4 coriander roots, finely chopped
2 tsp (10 ml) fresh turmeric (or powdered turmeric)
4 cloves garlic
¼ cup (60 ml) shallots, roughly chopped
10 pieces Bird’s Eye chili (or dried chili)
Seasonings for grilled fish marinade:
¼ cup (60 ml) oyster sauce
3 tbsp (45 ml) Thai fish sauce
Ingredients for the fish:
4 banana leaves
4 fillets (16 oz/500 g) red tilapia or other white fish
8 stalks lemon basil
Ingredients for grilled fish condiments:
Stemmed baby corn
Stemmed green bok choy
Cucumber, peeled and sliced
1. With a pestle and mortar, pound the curry paste ingredients into a fine paste.
2. Scrape the paste into a bowl. Add all fish marinade seasonings and mix well to combine.
3. Place the fish fillets into the bowl, add the lemon basil and mix well, coating with the herbs and spices.
4. Wrap each herb-dusted fillet in a banana leaf and grill for 10 to 15 minutes until just done.
5. Garnish and serve with the condiments on the side.