Vegetable oil, for frying
3 sweet white onions, divided
3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
1 tbsp (15 ml) seasoning salt
1 tsp (5 ml) black pepper
1 tsp (5 ml) sweet paprika
2 lbs (900 g) fresh ground short rib meat (80/20 meat to fat ratio)
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 fresh baked burger buns (from your favorite bakery or brand)
Soft butter, for buttering the buns
3 oz (90 g) Maytag blue cheese, or your favorite blue cheese
3 oz (90 g) Mozzarella cheese, sliced
¼ cup (60 ml) Chef Ashley’s Special Sauce (see recipe below)
2 vine ripe tomatoes, sliced
2 dill pickles, sliced
4 leaves Romaine lettuce
1. Pre-heat your grill to medium-high, while getting the rest of the ingredients ready.
2. Pre-heat vegetable oil in a deep pot or fryer to 350◦F (177◦C).
3. Cut two onions in half and julienne. In a large sauté pan on medium-low heat, add the olive oil and the julienned onions. Cook stirring frequently to allow even caramelization.
4. Slice the remaining onion very thinly on a mandolin creating paper thin rings. Blot off the excess moisture from the onions with paper towels.
5. In a small mixing bowl combine the flour, seasoning salt, pepper and paprika. Add the onion rings and toss to coat the onions evenly. Shake off any excess flour mixture.
6. Drop the dusted onions into the fryer oil and cook until golden brown. Drain off any extra oil and place on paper towels.
7. Season the burger meat with salt and pepper. Form into four equally portioned burger patties. (The easiest way to do this is to roll the meat into evenly portioned balls and then flattening them with your hands).
8. Place the burgers on the grill.
9. Cut your burger buns in half. Butter each side and toast.
10. Meanwhile, flip your burger when it is a minute away from being done to your desired temperature. Add the cheeses on top, and let them melt for the last minute.
11. Now, assemble the burger from the bottom up. On the bottom bun, spread special sauce (recipe below), add sliced tomatoes, dill pickle slices, romaine lettuce, burger patty, caramelized onions, crispy onions, special sauce on the top bun and hold it all together with a pick, and serve!
Chef Ashley’s Special Sauce Ingredients:
3 tbsp (45 ml) house made ketchup, or your favorite brand
3 tbsp (45 ml) mayonnaise
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped dill pickles
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped pickled cocktail onions
1 tsp (5 ml) Sambal chili sauce
1. In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients.