Grilled Mulled Apple and Ham Sliders with Apple Butter
Ingredients for Apple Butter:
1 lb (16 oz) Wine Sap apples
1 cup (250 ml) water
½ cup (4 oz) apple juice
1 tsp (5 ml) of vanilla essence
2 tsp (30 ml) of lemon juice
1 drop of almond essence
½ tsp (2-1/2 ml) of allspice
1 tsp (5 ml) cracked black pepper
¾ cup (175 ml) brown sugar
1. Cook apples in water and apple juice over low heat for 30 minutes, or until apples are well cooked.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Store in mason jars in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Ingredients for Mulled Cider:
2 cups (16 oz) apple cider
1 orange pekoe tea bag
¼ cup (2 oz) lemon juice
1/3 cup (2-1/2 oz) honey
4 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 x 2.5 oz empire apples, cored and sliced into disks
1. Steep all ingredients (except apple disks) for 30 minutes. Add apple disks and bring to a boil; then, remove from heat and cool.
Ingredients for Sliders:
2″ Brioche roll dusted with hickory nuts
1/8 cup (1 oz) shaved Berkshires Ham
1 tsp (5 ml) Apple Butter (see recipe above)
1/8 cup (1 oz) aged Vermont cheddar cheese
Baby arugula leaves
1. Toast the hickory nut brioche and spread the apple butter on each side.
2. Build from the bottom up with arugula, grilled mulled apple ring, cheddar cheese and shaved ham. Place a bamboo pick through the slider and top with a crisp apple ring dusted with more hickory nuts.