Berkshires Taco with Cider-Braised Pork Tenderloin
SERVES 6 (24 mini-tacos)
Ingredients for Cider Braised Pork Tenderloin:
4 lbs (1.8 kg) boneless loin of pork (preferably from the center), tied
¼ cup (60 ml) unsalted butter, divided
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
10 whole cloves
6 sage leaves
2 cups (500 ml) fresh apple cider
5 juniper berries, slightly crushed
2 large Granny Smith or other tart apple, peeled and diced
1 ½ lbs (675 g) turnips, peeled and diced
Flat leaf parsley
1. Preheat oven to 300◦F (150◦C).
2. Pat the roast very dry with paper towels. Melt 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter and 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil in a deep casserole just until the butter foams. Add the pork and brown it evenly on all sides over medium heat. This browning will take approximately 7 to 10 minutes.
3. Remove the roast to a platter and season it liberally with salt and pepper. Wipe casserole dish clean and add remaining butter and oil. Add the onion and sauté slowly over medium heat for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until light golden colored.
4. Stud the roast with the cloves and return it to the casserole, fat side up. Sprinkle the sage on top of the roast and add the cider and juniper berries. Turn up the heat and bring the liquid in the pan to a boil.
5. Cover the casserole with a lid and place it in the oven. After 1 hour, add the apples and turnips and baste the roast, basting 3 times in all during the cooking time.
6. After a total of 2-½ hours, remove the lid and roast for an additional 15 minutes. Transfer the roast to a warmed platter, and keep warm.
7. Skim off any surface fat from the pan juices. Set casserole on high heat and reduce the pan juices along with the apples and turnips, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
8. Add pan juices over top of the sliced pork, cover and keep warm.
Ingredients for Ginger Gold Salsa:
3 Ginger Gold apples, diced
½ cup (125 ml) diced red onion
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
2 chipotle peppers, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup (60 ml) lime juice
1 tbsp (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped cilantro
Sea salt and cracked pepper, to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
Ingredients for Peppered Honeycrisp Apples:
4 Honeycrisp apples, julienned
1 tbsp (15 ml) pink peppercorns
1. Sprinkle julienned apples with pink peppercorns.
Method for Taro Tortillas
24 thinly sliced taro root chips, fried until crisp and golden brown and shaped into half-moon mini tacos
24 slices avocado
Method for assembling:
1. Shred the pork loin and mix with the Ginger Gold Salsa.
2. Place pork and salsa mixture in taro root chips.
3. Top with the Peppered Honeycrisp Apples, cilantro leaves and avocado slice.
Served with my house made Sawkill Creek Sparkling “Jonathan” Hard Cider, 2011