Arabian Coffee Cake
3 egg whites
1-½ cups (375 ml) sugar, divided
3 cups (750 ml) flour
1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
½ tsp (2 ml) salt
½ cup (125 ml) vegetable shortening
1 tbsp (15 ml) boiling water
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
½ cup (125 ml) milk
½ cup (125 ml) cold water
1. Pre-heat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
2. Beat egg whites until stiff and then beat in ½ cup (125 m) sugar until whites form stiff peaks. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, sift the flour. Resift 3 times along with baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, add the shortening and beat in the remaining sugar. When blended, beat in the boiling water. Continue beating until fluffy, then add vanilla extract.
4. Add milk and cold water alternately with flour mixture to the shortening mixture. Mix gently until combined. Fold in the egg whites.
4. Pour batter in two buttered and floured layer cake pans. Bake for 25 minutes. Once done, cool the cakes on wire racks for 10 minutes, then run a knife along the edges and invert cakes onto racks. Cool completely before adding the filling.
Ingredients for filling:
2 tbsp (30 ml) flour
2 tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch
½ cup (125 ml) sugar
1 cup (250 ml) Arabic coffee (or very strong regular coffee)
¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
1. In a small pot, mix together the flour, cornstarch and sugar. Pour the coffee slowly over flour mixture. Add salt and stir until smooth.
2. Cook over low heat until thick. Add yolks. Cook again until thick and smooth. Add butter and vanilla, then set aside to cool.
Ingredients for glaze:
1-¼ cups (310 ml) confectioner’s sugar
3 tbsp (45 ml) Arabic coffee (or very strong regular coffee)
1. Mix together sugar and coffee until smooth.
Method for assembling cake:
1. Spread the filling on top of one of the cakes. Place the other cake layer on top.
2. Drizzle the glaze over the cake.