Apple and Lobster Carpaccio with Mizuna Salad
Ingredients for Lobster Carpaccio:
11 oz (320 g) Maine lobster tail
1 small red apple (heirloom), sliced
Ingredients for Black Truffle Vinaigrette:
6 tbsp (90 ml) organic cider vinegar
1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
3 tbsp (45 ml) extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp (5 ml) truffle oil
Ingredients for Lobster Filling:
3 oz (100 g) lobster, boiled and diced
½ small heirloom apple, boiled and diced
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped basil
1-½ tsp (7 ml) garlic mayonnaise
1-½ tsp (7 ml) Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Mizuna Salad:
¼ cup (60 ml) mizuna leaves
2 cups (500 ml) frisée
1 cup (250 ml) yellow endive
8 red currant tomatoes
4 lemon segments
4 grapefruit segments
1 cup (250 ml) chervil
1 tsp (5 ml) Maldon salt
Ingredients for Smashed Potato:
3 oz (100 g) purple potatoes
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped onion
½ garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped parsley
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped mint
1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Caramelized Hazelnuts:
4 hazelnuts, toasted
40 gm sugar
1 tbsp (15 ml) organic apple juice
1 tbsp (15 ml) water
1-½ tsp (7 ml) corn syrup
Ingredients for Additional Garnishes:
½ cup (125 ml) micro greens
1 red radish, sliced
½ red apple, sliced
8 g black truffle, sliced thinly
1 cup (250 ml) crispy kunafa threads
4 lobster claws, cooked
Method for assembling:
1. Cook the lobster tails and sliced heirloom apples in a large pot of boiling salted water for 4 minutes, along with sliced heirloom apples.
2. Remove the meat from the shell and place in ice water to cool. Slice thinly and place diagonally across the middle part of each plate (you are creating four composed plates in total), alternating lobster tail slices with slices of poached apple.
3. For the Black Truffle Cider Vinaigrette, combine the apple cider vinegar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Slowly whip in the extra virgin olive oil and truffle oil until a homogenous mixture is formed.
4. Top the sliced lobster and cooked apple with half of the vinaigrette. Garnish with micro greens, sliced red radish, edible flower, red apple and black truffle shavings.
5. In a medium bowl, toss the Mizuna Salad ingredients with the remaining Black Truffle Cider Vinaigrette. Place dressed salad on the side of the aligned lobster and apple slices.
6. Boil the purple potatoes and smash with a fork or masher. In a sautée pan, cook the chopped onion and garlic in extra virgin olive oil until translucent. Add the parsley, mint, lemon juice and mix with the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Make the Lobster Filling by mixing the diced lobster meat and diced boiled apple in a medium bowl with chopped basil, garlic mayo, mustard, salt and pepper.
8. In a small mold, assemble the smashed purple potatoes and top with the Lobster Filling. Garnish with kunafa threads and cooked lobster claw.
9. For the Caramelized Hazelnuts, boil the sugar, apple juice, water and glucose until dark golden in colour. Cool for three minutes. Dip hazelnuts in caramel and set aside.
10. Garnish each finished salad with a caramelized hazelnut.